Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Bloomsday

The Lilac Bloomsday Run, more commonly known simply as Bloomsday, is one of the largest timed road races in the world. The race is held annually on the first weekend in May. Bloomsday starts and ends in the streets of downtown Spokane, in between is where the magic lies. This 12km (7.46 mi) race was first held in 1977, making this years addition the 37th. running. This year was my 26th. consecutive running.


Photo by Bloomsday Run

There were 50,000+ signed up for this years race. In it's zenith, 61,298 participants registered for this spectacle. With crowds of this size most people fall on one side or the other. You either don't do the race because of the crowds or that's exactly why you do the race. I fall on the latter side.



I first witnessed the race in 1988. I was in photography school locally and some friends were participating so I grabbed my camera and headed down to the race. I found what I thought would be a good vantage point to get some shots and had it in my head that I would be able to catch them as they passed. Needle in a haystack?


My chosen spot was roadside at about the one mile maker of the race. When I say roadside, what I mean is on the curb. There is a 4 to 5 foot grass area between the road and the sidewalk which then leads to an uphill to what has now become the M.A.C.

I took a few photos of the lead runners and the crowd as a whole as the masses grew. Looking through the viewfinder in search of a few images that might tell the story of the race, I failed to understand exactly how the crowd of racers were growing. The race had swollen beyond the confines of the road itself and had quickly engulfed the entire area from sidewalk to sidewalk. This leaving me to find refuge behind a tree, refuge from the race itself. I was trapped on the curb by the shear masses as they passed. I waited, I wondered, I laughed, trapped behind the tree, trapped by humanity. In that moment I knew I had to be part of this.

Fast forward 26 years...



Sunday I was blessed with another Bloomsday. Bloomsday has grown to be much more then just a 12km run through the beauty of Spring in Spokane. It's a tradition. Bloomsday is the only event that continues to be on my must do list year after year. There have been years when my entire training focus has been on this race and that has brought P.R.'s. I have also limped my way through the race after knee surgery. I have raced Wildflower on a Saturday, only to return to Spokane early Sunday morning to complete the race. There have been Bloomsday's in the heat, there have been Bloomsday's in the snow and everything in between. My 26 start lines have brought plenty but not everything. I will continue to race for one reason and one reason only, I want to. I couldn't imagine not doing Bloomsday each year. It's been in my blood since 1988.




No comments:

Post a Comment